ESG Research Analyst
Kestrel ESG seeks an individual to join our team of public finance experts to assist with ESG evaluations across all fixed income asset classes. Join our fast-growing team of dedicated professionals who are making a difference by supporting sustainable and socially responsible investing.
Kestrel ESG is a Women’s Business Enterprise dedicated to providing strong analytic products and services to support the growing market in sustainable and socially responsible fixed-income investing. The purpose of our work is to identify environmental, climate and social benefits inherent in financed activities in order to help investors make informed decisions. We provide ESG data to capital markets. Our team is united through a strong work ethic, a dedication to creating real value and true service to our customers, and a commitment to a gratifying work environment where each person’s unique contributions are valued.
About the Work
The ESG Research Analyst is an environmental scientist, social scientist, civil engineer, urban planner or sustainability professional who is a vital part of the team. The ideal candidate will be familiar with public or corporate finance, have a genuine curiosity to learn, possess excellent writing and research skills, and operate through a scientific framework.
The ESG Research Analyst will be responsible for evaluating a variety of bond-financed activities against established standards and criteria, qualifying debt instruments for sustainable finance labels, and providing technically accurate written rationales of results. This person will gain an understanding of Kestrel ESG’s unique approach to evaluating ESG factors in fixed income markets and apply this approach in a variety of engagements.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Evaluating and scoring bond-financed activities against established standards and criteria using Kestrel’s proprietary ESG evaluation software.
- Analyzing ESG factors in multiple sectors such as water and wastewater, transportation, public facilities, affordable housing and K-12 education.
- Performing research to add value and perspective to ESG factors.
- Assessing eligibility for green and social bond designations in US and international markets, for both public and corporate finance transactions in a variety of sectors.
- Writing concise summaries and analyses of bond-financed activities according to Kestrel ESG’s style guide.
- Help ensure ESG data integrity, quality, and consistency by consistently following and improving our procedures.
- Contributing to a collaborative, vibrant, and positive work culture.
- Collaborating on the development of new, related products and services.
- Providing excellent client experience through exemplary communication and service.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a data-oriented and critical-thinking mindset.
- Understand the principles and practices of sustainability, climate action, environmental justice or other positive change within one or more sectors.
- Understand the principles and practices of municipal operations including planning, environmental regulation and/or permitting.
- Have experience in one or more of these sectors: transportation, water and sewer, energy utilities, affordable housing, higher education, K-12 education, green buildings or climate change adaptation and resilience.
- Thrive when given the opportunity to master specific tasks and procedures.
- Possess advanced business, scientific, and technical writing skills.
- Exhibit the desire to promote more just and sustainable communities across the US.
- Be familiar with the fundamentals of fixed-income markets.
- Be excited about working in a fast-growing, impact-oriented company.
- Think critically, write clearly, be organized and work collaboratively.
- Efficiently review and evaluate bond-financed projects and activities against established criteria on a daily basis.
- Prepare clear, concise and complete analysis, appropriately tracking records and notes.
- Provide prompt, efficient and responsive service internally as well as to our clients.
- Respond to feedback based on quality control procedures and adjust processes to improve standardization of work products.
- Work collaboratively with diverse individuals and groups.
- Exercise appropriate judgment in answering questions and releasing information.
- Prioritize work to meet established deadlines with plans, schedules, and milestones.
- Work proficiently in Microsoft Office Suite (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, etc.) and online project management software.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in urban studies, environmental sciences, social sciences, water management, civil engineering, public health, or finance.
- One (1) or more years of experience in the public sector or finance.
This is a full-time position and salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience of the chosen candidate. Kestrel ESG offers a range of employee benefits, including but are not limited to: Health premium contribution, paid time off, and paid holidays.
The company is headquartered in Hood River, Oregon but this can be a remote-work position with flexible work hours (i.e., EST, PST, etc.). We are looking to fill this position immediately and will evaluate candidates as they apply.
Join our fast-growing team of dedicated professionals who are making a difference by supporting sustainable and socially responsible investing. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of Kestrel ESG to provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, creed, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruitment, selection, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, benefits, compensation, training and facilities. In return, each employee of the organization is obligated to perform the duties and responsibilities of his or her position in accordance with the terms of this policy.